If you searched through the App Store lately you should have noticed that there is a diverse selection of Twitter clients to choose from. That is no wonder, as the App Store now holds over 13,000 applications. Twitter clients come with different flavours and philosophies. To declare any one as the king of the iPhone twittersphere would be to presumptuous. Nevertheless, in the list below you might find the perfect tool for your Twitter needs. Here is every list item under 140 characters for better readability for us tweeples.
- Twittelator – (Free) Good groups concept for viewing different timelines. Twittelator Pro (4,99) with many more features.
- Summizer – (2,99) Advanced search capabilities. Configure search terms and then get the results in the future with just one tap.
- Tweetie – (2,99) Huge feature set. Recommended by John Gruber from Daring Fireball fame.
- Twitterrific – (Free) Ads on top of the timeline. Twitterrific Premium (7,99) with even more features. Very nice user interface.
- Tweetsville – (3,99) Has also a good feature set. Supports TwitPic.
- Twittervision – (Free) Impressive world view. Tweets get displayed on a world map. Double tap on a tweet to translate it into your language.
- NatsuLion – (Free) Clear design with separate views for different timelines (user, sent and unread). Uses accelerometer to hide tab bar.
- Tweeter – (Free) The most minimalist Twitter client. Post tweets and that’s it. Source code available.
- TwitterFon – (Free) Developer asks for a donation. TwitterFon is licensed under GPLv2. You can download source code from an svn repository.
- Twinkle – (Free) One of the most popular Twitter clients.
- iTweets – (0,99) There are free clients which offer more features, but if you need just the basic features this might be for you.
There are also some hybrid applications, which do have built-in Twitter support. If you are using other social networks along with Twitter you might be interested in these two:
- Nambu – (4,99) Supports Twitter, Identi.ca, Ping.fm and FriendFeed.
- Ziibii – (Free) Blends Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube and your favorite web content.
Because there are many different flavours of Twitter clients in the App Store, you alone can decide which one best suits your needs. However, I consider some features essential for every tweeter:
- Compose tweets, direct messages, retweets and follow-ups.
- Compose tweets with photos and URLs.
- View public timelines, users’ timelines and, location based timelines.
- Visit links provided in tweets from within the application.
- Explore the twittersphere with location based and date based searches.
- View profiles and follow other tweeters.
To be honest with you, I haven’t attained the goal I had when I started this article. Actually I wanted to find the perfect Twitter client for you and present you with the reason why it is the best one. I haven’t found the best Twitter client. What I have found, though, is an awesome collection of tools which address different needs. Have I found the perfect Twitter client for my needs? Yes, I have, it is in the list above.