I have to admit that my very first three tweets ever should have gotten me fired right on the spot.
Luckily for me, I don’t think too many companies in early 2007 were savvy enough to be monitoring twitter. However, recent news has shown us this is no longer the case. With the Cisco job interview fiasco many of us on Twitter learned that our job (or future job) just might be watching our tweets.
With this in mind, I thought I would post the top 10 Tweets I read this week that could possible get someone fired.
10. “hate my job!! i want to tell my bosses how dumb they are and how meaningless this job is, then quit, and be happy!”
9. “So my job was to test all the food at the new resturant, can I just say, ughew. I’m going to taco bell then twistee treat.”
8. “Workin… This job sucks worse then the economy!”
7. “I’m going to work! Walmart! Must find better job! I hate it when chicks there have a deeper voice than me and refer to me as foo!”
6. “Also I’m really bummed that I’m working today, i asked off so i could study but my boss is a ******* **** ***** ***** who can’t read.”
5. “Coworker smuggled out a chair for me. Currently being paid to SIT around and listen to John Barrowman on my iPod. I don’t hate my job today!”
4. “having sex dreams of people you work with makes for an awkward day.”
3. “smoking weed at work is so [EDITED] great ”
2. “It’s bad when you overhear the n00b programmer say “I used to work at McDonalds with him” and you wonder if he is talking about the CEO…”
1. “Huh, with my boss on twitter, maaaybe I should take down that sexy picture of her… but her reaction will be priceless!”
With companies paying more attention to their brand it is becoming more conventional wisdom to tweet like the world is watching–because, in reality, the world is.